Saturday, April 30, 2011

Strawberry Jello Pie

I'm sharing with you a very special recipe today. This is my mom's "famous" recipe. You know how every mom has one go-to recipe that everyone loves? Well, this is my moms. Only I adapted it a bit. She usually makes it with peaches and peach jello, but since peaches aren't in season at all, I decided to use strawberries. After making it I realized how great this pie would be for the 4th of July! We're heading over to Jeff's sister's house for a BBQ tonight so I made this for the occasion.


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 8 strawberries, sliced
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 box (3 oz) strawberry or peach jello
  • 1 ready made graham cracker pie crust
-Combine the first three ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat until boiling (stir often) and the mixture becomes clear and thick.

-Remove from heat and add the jello packet, stir well.

-Arrange the berries in the pie however you like.

-Pour the jello mixture over the fruit and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving!


I can't wait until fresh fruit is in season so I don't have to pay over $4.00 for a very small container of blue berries!


Make sure the mixture turns clear before pouring the jello in.


I ended up adding some strawberry jello on top of the peach jello since it didn't fill the entire pie crust. I guess I bought the biggest size by accident! Fine by me, though. The red color was much prettier :)


While the pie was cooling Jeff and I ran some errands! We tend to do this on Saturdays. We took ourselves to the mall to shop for several birthday presents. Left with nothing of course. Looks like I'll be going back to the mall one night this week sometime. We came home to Ollie man (who got his first haircut today and is not traumatized) and wasted 2 hours of our lives watching this movie. Off to a BBQ now!

10 comments:

Ginnette said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Caitlin, when u added the extra jello did u add anything else? More cornstarch? How much water? I want to make it but don't want trouble with the consistency if I have to add an extra pack of jello like u did.
Thanks!

Cait @ A Bicycle Built for Two said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Ginnette,
When I added the extra jello packed I only added half (so I halved the water and cornstarch as well). If you use a smaller graham cracker crust the 1 packet should fill it to the top, but if you want a bigger pie like this one simply add half of the jello and recipe again! Does that make sense?

Muriel Miller said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum! This definitely would be such a great treat for the 4th of July. So festive and summery. I can't wait to try this!

https://booksthoughtsadventures.com said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Jello...and why is it that we learn about Jello from our mom's...my sister in law's mom makes a pretzel jello recipe that is amazing...I have to get the recipe...and my mom always made us...strawberry jello with walnuts and bananas and cool whip for our Sunday night dessert...I still love it now...but I am trying your pie...oh...had polenta and eggs for breakfast this morning and I thought of you!!! And I am making that oat thing later...yummy!!!

So Domesticated said... Best Blogger Tips

Looks tasty and pretty!

Marti said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cait,

You and Jeff are so cute! I've made this pie before with a slightly diff recipe and a lot more berries. It's great with more berries and piled over waffles on weekends.

Meantime, I read your "Meet Us" section. Wondered what chicken salsa is that you said Jeff is good at making? I looked to see if you had blogged about it, but you haven't... as far as I can tell.

Yes/no/maybe? :) Have a great week!

Cait @ A Bicycle Built for Two said... Best Blogger Tips

Marti,
Thanks so much! Chicken salsa is a dish that a Chinese place with an extensive diet menu serves-he used to work there and eat it almost everyday. It involves chicken, kidney beans, onions, peppers and salsa sauce. He has written 1 post, and he just agreed to make it and blog it this week :) Thanks for the great idea!

Ana Rita Marreiros said... Best Blogger Tips

Wonderfull pie Caitlin...It turn very beautifull with all that fruit and it's colours...
Kisses,
Rita

http://bembons.blogspot.com

che'iza said... Best Blogger Tips

Can i know how you make the crust... it looks so crispy...

nate.primecp said... Best Blogger Tips

We recently featured this recipe in our weekly food trend post. You can check it out here -

http://blog.recipelion.com/food-trend-sweet-jell-o-recipes/

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design