Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Apple & Pecan Spice Cake in a Jar

After assembling my new shelves in my kitchen, I realized I had a few mason jars left over! So of course, I decided to use them to bake in. Did you know you can make a cake in a jar? After researching recipes, I learned that many military wives make these cakes in jars and send them to their soldiers abroad. Now, I'm not sure if this is the healthiest/safest idea due to bacteria, but since my husband is thankfully only down the road (and not abroad) I don't have to worry about that! Here is the recipe I came up with, using ingredients I had in my home:


Ingredients: (makes 1 full mason jar)
  • 1/2 cup chopped apples
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1/6 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup 1% milk
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. In a small bowl, mix the wet ingredients (butter, egg). Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Now add the chopped apples and pecans (or any other ingredient you choose) and mix well. Spray the mason jar well and fill the batter into the jar. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. Let cool before serving (or sending)!

Remember that the spray & your mason jar are best friends! If you forget this small step, you could have a disaster on your hands.


Fill the mason jar almost to the top with the batter.


After a short 30 minutes (just enough time to wash all of the dirty dishes you created), you have a super cute and good dessert!


There are so many different recipes for cakes in jars! Feel free to adapt this one by adding your favorite ingredients. The next time I make these I may add some raisins, or chocolate somehow ;)

8 comments:

brandi said... Best Blogger Tips

Delicious! I have some extra jars in my basement...I may need to try this :)

So Domesticated said... Best Blogger Tips

Adorable... and it looks yummy too!

GirlyGirlCooks said... Best Blogger Tips

This is adorable! I love that women sent these to there military men. Although the bacteria factor does make me cringe, but that's the microbiologist in me! I want to make these!!!

Denine Regan said... Best Blogger Tips

So much fun - my kids love trying new things - and this would be a great way to entertain them. Thanks!

Kim - Liv Life said... Best Blogger Tips

What an excellent idea!! My military guy would have loved this when he was still flying around the world, and you have his favorite flavors as well. Congrats on the Top 9! A most deserving post!

Christine said... Best Blogger Tips

I make an apple cake that has walnuts and chocolate chips in it. The batter looks to be of similar consistency. I would add those and maybe some dried cranberries.

Mary Ellen said... Best Blogger Tips

What size mason jar are you using? This looks like a half-pint size... but I could be wrong.
Thanks! Looks delicious!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW, looks so pretty and delicious!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design