Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oatmeal Pancakes

Hi everyone, it's Cait again! Did you enjoy Jeff's post last night? And he thought he had writing skills of an 8th grader? I don't think so. His post was great-and so was that caramel frappe that he made! I told him not to make me once since it wasn't the healthiest recipe out there, but I actually ended up just drinking half of his. I felt less guilty about it that way though ;) After waking up this morning, Jeff was craving pancakes (a normal occurrence) and I was craving oatmeal (also a normal craving). So, why not combine them and make healthy oatmeal pancakes? I adapted a recipe from the cookbook Good to the Grain.


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup oat flour (I'll explain how to easily make this)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup cooked oats/oatmeal
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup 1% milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 tablespoon molasses
First, make your oat flour. Simply pour 1 cup of rolled oats into a food processor and grind until they become a flour like substance.


Next, combine the dry ingredients (oat flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) in a large bowl. In a medium sized bowl, mix the wet ingredients (butter, milk, eggs, cooked oatmeal and molasses). Finally, fold the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.

***To cook the oatmeal, mix 1 cup of rolled oats with 2 cups of water and simmer on the stove for about 5-7minutes.***


Now all you have to do is cook the pancakes! Heat a pan over medium heat with a little butter to keep the batter from sticking. Pour the batter onto the pan. This recipe will make about 15 small pancakes or 6-8 large ones. Of course we made large :)


To keep it healthy, I topped mine with crunchy peanut butter and some coconut.


Hoping this breakfast holds us over for a while (it should with all of the oatmeal in it) since we have a long day head! We're off to go on a little hike/walk with Ollie then I'm grocery shopping and Target shopping (my two favorite activities) with my friend Lauren!

7 comments:

Sara said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmmm, these look so good! If only I hadn't already eaten breakfast...they'll just have to wait until tomorrow. :)

Kathy said... Best Blogger Tips

I'll have to save these like Sara did, but it'll have to wait for next week, on Saturday or Sunday :)

Taylor said... Best Blogger Tips

Pancakes are my favorite weekend breakfast...we switched it up this morning on french toast so now I am craving pancakes even more! I'm definitely saving this recipe for next weekend.

thechurchcook said... Best Blogger Tips

Looks wonderful! And Jeff did a great job with the post! Two is definitely better than one, esp. when it comes to blogging! :)

Lauren@littleyellowkitchen said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! great picture. Let me guess, Jeff ate that entire stack + some...I know my guy would have! haha

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I love your blog. Do you think these would freeze well?

Kathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Okay, I'm going to make these tomorrow morning!! When I put them into my calorie calculator, it said they had around 725mg of sodium! That's pretty high, so I think I'll omit the salt (and sugar, since I'm working on eating less grams of sugar!!)

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design