Thursday, December 30, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper & Pine Nut Hummus


Today was the first time I used my new Christmas present, my food processor! I have been wanting to make my own hummus for a while, but our blender was too big to chop up all of the small ingredients. So of course, this was the first thing I chose to make! And I must say, it turned out great. I was a little skeptical since a lot of the ingredients I had never used before, but I will definitely be using this recipe again.

Ingredients:
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 can of chickpeas
  • 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 red pepper (roasted)
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts (roasted)
  • pepper to taste

First, chop up your red pepper. Place the red pepper and pine nuts on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Stir/move around occasionally.


While the peppers & pine nuts are roasting, you can begin processing the other ingredients. First process the garlic. Then, add the can of chickpeas with about 1/2 of the water from the can as well for about 3 minutes or until blended well.


Next, add the red peppers to the processor and blend for another 2 minutes. After the chickpeas turn to a beautiful red color, add the tahini, lemon juice, salt and a few pinches of pepper. Blend well. Once everything is processed, add some peppers and pine nuts to the top of the hummus as garnish. Also drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the bowl you will serve the hummus in. Eat with pita, chips or veggies :)


My friend Rach was over while I was making this...she approved.


I served mine with pita at a party we had at my parent's house later that night!


After hummus making, we took a trip to our favorite restaurant while in college (and still today)...CHIPOTLE! I love love love Chipotle and if I had to pick 1 restaurant to eat at for the rest of my life, it would be it.


The burritos are HUGE. My personal choice is the burrito bowl. I always order the same thing: rice, peppers & onions, chicken, black beans, mild salsa and cheese. I always have enough for 2 meals!


After a fun-filled day at Chipotle and getting my hairs cut, we came home to a house full of people we love :) My family is very close with 3 other families: the Hunts, Clarks, and VerSteegs. We all grew up in the same church together and have remained friends even though all of the "kids" are grown and married now. Home is not home without these people.


We played the game "Taboo." Boys (or men) vs. girls (or women) of course!


We also ate lots of yummy food. My dad made open face tacos with chicken, pork and some beans. We topped them off with cheese, salsa and sour cream.


The night was full of fun appetizers. One of my favorites was tomato, mozzarella and olives in cute miniature martini glasses my mom bought at Crate & Barrel.


Everyone had a great time, even the pups!


1 comments:

meredith Hunt said... Best Blogger Tips

Now I wish I had a food processor- that hummus looks delicious! I'm sad Justin and I couldn't make it to the party, sounds like everyone had a great time. :)

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design