Monday, January 10, 2011

Whole Wheat Apple-Pecan Bread

Even though I wasn't feeling 100 % last night, I knew the smell of fresh bread would cheer me up, so I got my butt off the couch and I made some (while watching The Bachelor of course). I combined a few recipes I found online, but mostly adapted my recipe from this one of Joy the Baker. Jeff ate up all of the banana crunch muffins I made last weekend and needed something else to snack on this week, so I thought this bread would be perfect (and healthier option for him than those muffins).


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/3 cup earth balance, melted
  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup grated apples
  • 3/4 cup chopped apples
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup whole pecans
  • cinnamon & sugar for topping
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients: flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves together for about two minutes. In another bowl, mix your wet ingredients together: milk, eggs, vanilla extract and melted earth balance. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well with electric mixer. Use a spoon to fold in the apples and the chopped pecans. Spray a bread pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into the pan. Top it off with the whole pecans, some cinnamon and some sugar. Bake for 50 minutes.



Did you know that it is a proven fact that your body craves more carbohydrates in the winter? And because we want to make our bodies happy, we mine as well eat healthy carbs like this bread!


A big HUGE thank you to my fabulous and handy husband for making a new and improved light box. We looked off of (never home) maker to copy their light box and it worked out great! It is so hard to take pictures when it gets dark by 4:30, and I love to bake at night...so this helps with the whole lack of natural light/hating to use the flash situation.


7 comments:

DessertForTwo said... Best Blogger Tips

I just found your blog through Tasty Kitchen! How cute!

This looks absolutely delicious--a perfect use for my surplus of apples and pecans!

Also, I LOVE your light box idea. Thanks for sharing the link!! :)

Cait Jensen said... Best Blogger Tips

Love your blog as well! Will definitely be trying some of your recipes since there are only two of us as well :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Cait! This bread looks amazing and the light box looks really good too--I might need to force Fritz into making one for me :)

GirlyGirlCooks said... Best Blogger Tips

I absolutely love your blog! I just found it on Tasty Kitchen and added it to my Favorites list! I love the idea of a Bucket List. I want to do that with my boyfriend! :)
Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks

Cait Jensen said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Haley! The Bucket List has been a lot of fun, I highly suggest making one :) I'll be following your blog as well now!

Ande said... Best Blogger Tips

This bread looks amazing, and I am considering making it. I have a couple questions. First, do you think I could substitute oil or applesauce for Earthbalance? They don't have that in my store, and I don't really want to use butter. Also, in your ingredients list there are no eggs listed, but you list them in the baking instructions. How many eggs should I use?

Cait Jensen said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Ande. I think substituting applesauce would work, I know my mom does that a lot when she bakes although I have never tried it! Sorry that I forgot to list the eggs...use 2 eggs beaten. I'm fixing it now :)

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design