Monday, November 8, 2010

3 Minute Pita Chips

You're probably saying, "Did I just read 3 minutes to make Pita Chips?" Yes, you did. This weekend my sister and I made some gluten-free sandwich bread and I had some leftover yeast. I didn't want to make an entire loaf of bread...so I decided I would try some pita chips. I also decided I wanted to make these while feeding lunch to a 2 year old, so that didn't give me much time. So, why not use the microwave? Here's the very easy and yummy recipe!


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 packet of yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

First, mix 1 cup of flour, yeast, water and sugar into a large bowl. Mix these ingredients and let sit for about 5 minutes.


Then, add the rest of the flour, salt and oil and mix togher well. Let sit for another 5-8 minutes.


After, dust parchment paper with flour. Make a golf ball sized piece of dough and roll in between the paper into a circle as thin as possible. Cut into 4 wedges (or whichever shape you want).


Finally, microwave in the folded parchment paper for about 1 minute. Then, uncover the "chips" and microwave for 1 minute more on each side (not covered with parchment paper).

Break, and enjoy :)

I decided to whip up some pico de gallo to have on mine. I chopped up some tomatoes, red onions, peppers, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice and salt. SO good, especially on these pita chips! The first batch I made was a little burnt...but I actually liked them that way, it made them extra crunchy!



Of course I wanted some more, so the second batch I made a little less burnt (aka I didn't microwave for as long).



The perfect pita chip...and its gluten-free! I'm off to the gym for a quick work out then home to have a "no electric night" with my husband. We decided that one night a week we are going to pretend the electric went out-that means...NO tv, NO computers, NO lights...only candles, some wine, and a lot of card games! Maybe we'll even have time to read a book, or two :)

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design