Tuesday, November 30, 2010

White Chocolate & Almond Molasses Biscotti

Last night while at the grocery store I picked up a jar of molasses to make gingerbread cookies with this coming weekend, however couldn't just stare at it for the entire week...so decided to use it for a recipe today! It has been cold the past few days, and I always drink tea while the little guy I nanny for naps. So I thought, why not make a biscotti to dip in my tea? And why not make it with lots of molasses? So I did.


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
(Recipe adapted from here)


First, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix all together until blended well. Then, add the almonds and white chocolate chips into the mixture.


In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, vanilla, maple syrup and molasses together. After, pour this mixture into the dry mixture bowl.


Once all of the ingredients are mixed well together, knead the dough on the counter or table for a few minutes. Either line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Once dough has been kneaded, form a long flattish log (vague I know). Here is a picture of what mine looked like:


Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Once hardened a bit, take out of oven and cut into 1/2 inch wide slices. Then, place back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes or until hardened. Let cool and enjoy with a hot cup or tea or cocoa :)


There you have it, a somewhat healthy recipe to enjoy these next few cold winter months! Speaking of winter (aka Christmas)-Jeff and I bought our first Christmas tree last night. It is small, but perfect for us.



"What's Jeff eating?" you say...a yummy leftover bread bowl with some homemade chicken & rice soup.


I'm off to read a bit then meet Jeff at the gym after work. I'm going to make some tortellini & sausage soup tonight (hopefully Jeff isn't too sick of soup...that's my favorite thing to make in the winter), so check back later for some pictures and a possible recipe if it turns out how I plan!

1 comments:

Jennah said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cait! You probably don't remember me so this is probably creepy, haha, but we were in the same communications class at Messiah in 2006...anyway, I've been meaning to tell you for a long time now how much you and Jeff have inspired me to wait patiently on the Lord and to have a pure and Christ-centered relationship with whoever my future spouse turns out to be. I think we were facebook friends a while ago and every now and then God would seem to lead me to a post you made or pictures you had and He really spoke to me through them. I recently decided to get rid of my facebook (for many reasons...biggest one being it was a major time-wasting activity :) and then the other day I was searching for a recipe with quinoa in it and google (or God) took me to this cute blog of yours! I'm also a huge advocate of simple, healthy, happy living, so your blog is very refreshing :) So anyway, I hope I didn't completely creep you out! I just wanted to thank you for being such good examples of God's children!! Oh and I have some great recipes that I think you would like, so let me know if you would like them :) Have a great day! God bless you guys :)) Jennah Bensel :) Hebrews 10:23-24 :)

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design