Monday, November 29, 2010

Apple & Cranberry Cinnamon Red Quinoa

I found this recipe a few weeks ago on The Front Burner blog and knew immediately that I wanted to make it. Not only did it scream "fall in a bowl" but also looked beautiful. So I gave it a try for lunch today! I adapted it a bit, but mostly followed Emily's recipe.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained a few times
  • 1 medium apple, diced
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup mandarin oranges

First, rinse the quinoa a few times to get rid of the any bitterness. Then, dice your apple. Add the diced apple, quinoa, and cinnamon to medium heat on the stove top.


Next, add the orange juice and water to the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. I ended up cooking mine for a little less time since I like my quinoa a bit crunchy instead of soft.


Stir it all together.


After 20 or so minutes, remove the cinnamon sticks and add the cranberries and oranges. Simmer over the stove for a few more minutes.


Finally, take lots of pretty pictures then eat and enjoy it!


Tonight Jeff and I are celebrating 6 months of marriage! It is really crazy how fast the past 6 months have gone. He has made me the happiest gal in the world. We are going to buy a very small Christmas tree and relax while drinking hot chocolate together :) A budget friendly way to celebrate an anniversary...

Question of the day: What is your favorite Christmas decoration? My mom is a collector of snowmen and has tons of cute little ones all over the house-to the point where my Dad has to stop her from buying them sometimes! I need to start my Christmas decoration collection and need some ideas...

7 comments:

Brittney Urban said... Best Blogger Tips

this looks soo yummy. keep on with the blog. i'm moving too philly in january and will be needing your blog for inspiration! =]

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I am so excited for your new camera! Also we must be twins because I bought red quinoa for Thanksgiving because I love the holiday colors. I might try this recipe tomorrow (minus OJ 'cause I dont have it plus apple cider) it looks delicious!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite decorations are the Swedish and Norwegian ones I have picked up over the years. They remind me of my Mormor (Mother's mother in swedish) and Glenn's grandparents from Norway. They are little trolls and St. Lucia girls and God Yul plate, etc. You need at least one scandinavian ornament to give proper homage to Jeff's heritage! I think IKEA would be a good place to find some.

Peggy said... Best Blogger Tips

This quinoa sounds fabulous! I love the fall flavors in here! We do different things with our tree every year so we don't necessarily have a favorite ornament, but this year we've just got many red and white ornaments (i.e. snowflakes, globes, etc.)

Quinoa Diet Tips said... Best Blogger Tips

This looks absolutely amazing. It also has a Xmas feeling because of the cinnamon and the apples.

Favorite Xmas decoration, that's a tough question. I like to use as many natural decoration as possible. I agree with the IKEA advice or you can make some too.

Ingrid said... Best Blogger Tips

Never thought of a combination like this! Looks really good! I'll have to give it a try!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Ohhhhh yummy! This looks incredible! I love the red quinoa- I've never seen that before and it looks beautiful. Nice job. :)

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design