Monday, November 1, 2010

Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes

I spend a good amount of time browsing around Whole Foods' website. There are so many fun things to read about and look at on there...including recipes! I found this recipe, and since I am slightly obsessed with sweet potatoes right now, decided to try it out! It obviously didn't end up looking like the ones in the prepared foods section of Whole Foods, but I'm used to that. I changed up the recipe a bit...since I don't like cranberries too much and would rather have tomatoes.

But first, I encourage you to check out their website. They have great resources for encouraging one another to eat healthy and live a more fuller life. Their program is called Heath Starts Here, and this is what they promote:

  • Plant Strong-Eat more plants, like raw and cooked vegetables, fruits, legumes, and beans, nuts seeds, and whole grains to ensure the best nutrients for the body, which leads to feeling satiated.
  • Whole Foods-Choose foods that are real, fresh, natural, organic, local, seasonal and unprocessed. Eliminate refined, highly processed foods and foods containing ingredients void of nutrients, such as artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, sweeteners, and hydrogenated fats.
  • Healthy Fats- Get healthy fats from plant sources, such as nuts and avacados. Minimize extracted oils and processed fats. If eating a diet that includes animal products, choose leaner meats and seafood as well as low-dairy products.
  • Nutrient Dense-Choose foods that are rich in nutrietns when compared to their total caloric content. Build menus around plant-based foods to emphasize nutrient-rich meals containing a variety of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants.

If you don't have a Whole Foods near you...I am sincerely sorry. I love it there, and could spend hours in the Bulk Food Section spending way over our grocery budget for the week ;)

So anyways, if you haven't been there, take a trip one day...it's worth it!

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb sweet potatoes (2 medium)
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup wild rice (Lundburg I used)
  • 1/2 cup onions
  • 1 tb. dried sage
  • 1/2 tb. salt
  • 1/2 tb. black pepper
  • A bunch of diced tomatoes
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Steam the potatoes for 20-25 minutes until they are soft, then blend in a blender (mine were soft enough that I just mashed them with a fork). Combine the rest of the ingredients and form into small patties (like hamburgers). Lay the patties on parchment paper, that you sprayed, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned.


These next few pictures may look gross, but even the batter tastes good! You can also eat these patties warm, cold, or room temperature. Eat them as a meal, sandwich, or add them to a salad for lunch.

The final product: SO good. They had a lot of flavor. I ate two of them for dinner!

5 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I like your makeover! It looks great! And I'm going to try these the next time I go grocery shopping I love sweet potatos in all forms :)

First Time Homebuyers Seminar said... Best Blogger Tips

I have really been discovering Quinoa so I am excited to see this idea!! Thanks for your blog - found it by accident on Facebook but am enjoying some of these healthy ideas!

laurel.mcdermott@gmail.com said... Best Blogger Tips

Not sure why it says "First Time Homebuyers Seminar" It is really me!

Brittany said... Best Blogger Tips

Just curious, do you have the link for where you found this recipe on the Whole Foods website? I tried to find it but couldn't.

Thanks so much!

plasterers bristol said... Best Blogger Tips

this sounds good. Something new to try as well. thanks for sharing this recipe.

Simon

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design