Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Energy Cookie Bites

But first, a few announcements:

1. I am selling my Olympus E500 camera with 2 lenses and accessories. Jeff and I have been looking around for a new camera and finally found one that we love! We can't wait to purchase it, but obviously need to sell our Olympus first. If you are interested, write a comment or e-mail/facebook me and I will send pictures and more information.

2. Something NEW and I think very exciting is coming to the blog tonight! Jeff and I have been working on it for a while and can't wait to finally share it with all of you. So check back later (probably around 8:00 pm) to check it out!

3. Not that you care, but Jeff is finally done studying for the week! He took a big test this morning, so now I can have my husband back :) Thank you Stony Brook PT for giving him back to me...

4. I made some healthy & yummy raw energy cookie bites today.


I have been feeling a little under the weather the past few days. I feel like its just that time of the year where everyone and their mother is sick (thankfully my mother isn't though). If you read my "fitness" tab you already know that I have taken a few days off from the gym/running. However today Jeff and I are going on a run since the weather is beautiful, so I made something to pop in my mouth right before hand!

The secret ingredient in these cookies, just like the truffles made a few weeks ago, is medjool dates! Although dates do have more calories than most fruit, they make a great substitute for processed sweets (like truffles or cookies). Hence, why as of today, I have made both.

I found this recipe on one of the food blogs I read every day- Oh She Glows. Angela (the creator of this blog) has great posts not only about recipes, but also heath tips. She encourages me in some way everyday and if you let her, I'm sure she could do the same for you!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup of almonds
  • 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
  • 9-12 medjool dates, pitted
  • 5 dried apricots, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs or chocolate chips (crushed up a bit)
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
  • pinch of sea salt
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons of honey (if needed)
First, place the pitted dates and almonds in a blender or food processor and mix until ground well. Some chunks are ok, so don't worry if everything isn't ground up. Remove and place in a medium sized bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with hands. I added honey (the original recipe didn't call for this) since my cookies weren't sticking together that well. It definitely helped and added even more sweetness! Finally, form into mini balls or cookies (I thought cookies were cuter obviously).

These "cookies" are deliciously sweet and packed with so many healthy foods. Perfect for a pre or post-work out snack. They have 136 calories each!



After whipping some of these bad boys up, I headed to Gymboree with Seanie for some gym time fun! I think Gymboree is great for rainy and winter days, but someone always seems to get hurt. I guess that is what happens when fifteen 2 year olds are jumping around together. It basically just really stresses me out there. So, after hearing lots or 2 year olds cry but also having hearing lots of laughs, we came home and I snacked on a clementine. My ABSOLUTE favorite fruit. I always eat way too many of these and get stomach aches...so today I limited myself to two only!


After putting Sean down for a nap I heated up some soup. Soup always makes me feel better. Plus, it is a perfect windy day for a nice warm bowl. My soup of choice: veggie noodle of course! I am enjoying the soup and I type up this blog...a perfect afternoon in my opinion.

I can't wait to get home to my husband. We are going to get in a quick 5 mile run before it gets too dark, make dinner together...I'm thinking chicken stir-fry, then relax (aka watch TV and blog-definitely not a "no electric" night tonight).

***Remember to check back tonight for the NEW addition to A Bicycle Built for Two.***

Question of the Day:
What shows do you watch on Wednesday nights? Jeff and I want to "get into" a show other than Real Housewives but don't know which one to try out...

9 comments:

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips

Cait- I totally enjoy all your recipes! I haven't made one yet (life is crazy) but I'm going to try one out soon. As for Wednesday nights, we watch Criminal Minds... it's on at 9!

Cait Jensen said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Kristen-unfortunately my life isn't crazy (a little boring even :)...which is why I blog to keep me sane! We will watch Criminal Minds tonight then-as long as we understand it without seeing previous episodes!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cait. I like The Defenders on Wednesdays. Glad Jeff is off from studying for a while! Cheryl

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips

haha well boring isn't always bad :) Criminal Minds is like Law and Order, in that it's a similar set up every time, but you don't need to watch a previous episode to understand! Tell me what you think!

Kimberly Almeida said... Best Blogger Tips

We watch "The Middle" on ABC at 8. We like this show because it is one of the very few that we can watch with the kids! Then, we put them to bed at 8:30 and watch "Modern Family" A very intelligent comedy..LOL funny, actually. Milt and I have enough drama in our real lives..when we watch tv, we like to laugh :)

Cindy said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm with Kim and Milt. The Middle and then Modern Family! PS Can't wait for your "surprise"

Carmen said... Best Blogger Tips

Cait -- I love reading your blog! Definitely check out Modern Family. It's hilarious!

Thanks for all the great recipes!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

This recipe was great, thanks!

Oh, I like The Defenders (if you prefer something action-y) and Cougar Town (comedy). Modern Family is great too.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Sorry about that... I meant lawyer-y* for The Defenders. If you're looking for something action-y, go with Human Target, which is awesome.

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design