Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cranberry Cinnamon Flax Seed Muffins

Today was close to being a perfect day. I woke up at my usual time, 6:30 am, and ate a bowl of oatmeal with a large spoonful of peanut butter. I headed out the door to head to work-except today I only worked for 2 hours! Sean's grandparents decided to watch him for the day, so I got paid to go to the gym, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, bake and cook :) That's right, I get paid on my days off. I really do have the best job out there (minus changing poopy diapers).

I picked up some essentials at the grocery store. Some things that Jeff and I buy weekly are: milk, eggs, bananas (we ALWAYS have bananas), string cheese, tortillas, nuts, onions, Stonyfield yogurt, granola, peanut butter (yes I usually eat a jar every week or two), green & red peppers, and some kind of fruit (usually grapes or oranges). Today I also picked up some Pumpkin Butter from Trader Joe's which I ate on some toast with raisins for lunch. SO good. I also got some Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans-I like to eat these around 10:00 when I need a pick me up! I may even try to add them into a breakfast shake one morning.



After cleaning up our apartment for our guests this weekend-MY SISSY IS COMING (can you tell I'm excited?)-I made some cranberry cinnamon flax seed muffins. I bought a bag of ground flax seed a while ago and never got around to baking with it, so I figured a rainy day off was the perfect day. They are low in carbs and high in fiber, perfect for a morning breakfast muffin or mid-day snack.

Let's talk about Flax Seed. Flax seed is said by some to be a new wonder food. Although it contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes it's healthy reputation to 3 main ingredients: Omega 3 essential fatty acids, Lignans, and Fiber. Everyone should try and incorporate flax seed into their diet, and it is easy to do. You can add it to your cereal or oatmeal, make granola bars with it, or add it to muffins, pancakes, etc. Or, just make these muffins :)


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup cranberries (I used dried)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup water


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients together separately. Finally, fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Spray a muffin sheet with baking spray, and then bake in oven for about 18 minutes! This recipe made 6 muffins (double if you want 12).




I took a picture of this lonely muffin by the rainy window...then I ate it. I bought some very cute polka dot casserole dishes tonight that I am going to make a butternut squash casserole in for dinner, so check back later tonight or tomorrow for another recipe!


2 comments:

Christy Scazzero said... Best Blogger Tips

Cait,

I came across your blog on my fb newsfeed yesterday and started (shamelessly) browsing at your recipes. A photo shoot, starring food - nothing better.

anyways - I have zero time in my life too cook. and yet. you've inspired me. I hopped on the subway this morning, trekked to a crowded (and expensive) whole foods so I could make these muffins + an amazing grass smoothie.

.. and they were glorious.

keep 'em coming!

Cait said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Christy! Glad you were inspired :) I only made this because I was inspired by so many other food bloggers! How did the muffins turn out? Did you get the chocolate amazing grass? I want to try another flavor but am nervous. I love love the shake in the mornings!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design